Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Baby, Baby, Baby, Baby, Baby

In class we watched the movie Double Indemnity. An overall good movie by my account, the best black and white movie that we've watched in class. Not only did I think it was a good movie but I also think that it is a great example of the genre film noir. It fit almost all of the things that are normally said about film noir. The two things that I noticed most though were the low-key lighting, and how the movie got your attention.
The low-key lighting played a huge part in the movie, casting shadows in almost every scene, darkening the mood of the whole movie. One great way they did this was with venetian blinds. It made for areas of extreme light and extreme dark. The low-key lighting in a way made the movie more enjoyable because of how it made the mood more sinister than it already was. The film got my attention because of the nature of the story. About sex and murder, the experts are right, its hard to not love stories like this. Keeping my attention through the whole thing, and not making me want to kill myself because the characters were so bad was what made this movie for me.
Oh and the only bad thing was the number of times they said the word baby, and the wig her head.

No comments: