Friday, February 29, 2008

Hitchcock

I went into this unit not really knowing much about Hitchcock and what he was all about. But through watching 3 of his movies I have really found out that Hitchcock is definitely the master of suspense. A common theme through all 3 of the movies was that it was hard for me to pull my eyes away from the screen. I was caught up in the plot, feeling the ups and downs as the characters did. Hitchcock was able to do this through many cinematic tools, but the greatest one was subjective shots. By showing us what the characters see it makes the audience really feel connected to the character, or even be the character in some way. Rear Window does this the best out of the 3 movies we watched, because almost every shot in that movie was from within L.B.'s apartment.

Another thing that kept my attention throughout all 3 movies was the way that the characters were developed and created. In Rear Window and Vertigo especially the characters were obsessive and strange in some way. L.B. was obsessed with watching other people and Scotty was obsessed with Madeline/Judy. These characters really kept the audiences attention and added another huge dimension to the plot line of the movie.

1 comment:

Laura said...

I thought the camera angles were really cool too and definitely part of what kept my attention especially in Rear Window. The best was the binocular lens use looking into Thorwald's apartment.