Tuesday, March 18, 2008

AK

At the beginning of the unit I didn't know much about Akira Kurosawa. Mitch talked about his movies a lot and so I was excited form my own opinions on Kurosawa. Well now that we've watched his movies I can saw that I very much think of him as one of the greatest directors of all time. He is able to create a movie that always has some underlying theme to it, beautifully showing his measure through camera work, diolague, the set, and many other things. It is almost as if Kurosawa is trying to paint you a picture of his message in exactly the same way he sees it. This is what I love about his films and have made me want to see many more of them.

Another part of Kurosawa's films is the weather component. In each of his movies he uses extreme weather circumstances. If it is windy, it is very windy, if it is raining, its pouring, and if it is hot, it is the hottest day/week of the year. Using the weather in the way that he does, it heightens the mood of the film. It adds emphasis to the plot and the characters as they go through the movie. It also allows for the audience to feel for the characters more, and feel more connected to them also. Kurosawa is the only director that I have seen that uses natures, and by that I mean the weather, to add to his movies.

3 comments:

Awesometown Blogett said...

I know what you mean about the weather thing. In stray dog, i couldn't imagine how they could want to smoke cigarettes on the hottest day ever. I felt for them there. Especially when that hooker went through her cig in like 4 seconds. It seemed like that would be hotter. I really liked Kurosawa as well.I"m rambling now, so I'm gonna go.

Laura said...

I 100% agree on the weather. I think his excessive use of blood is also notable as well, and how that portrays the violence, especially that of new age weapons. I personally don't find his films entertaining, but I suppose it's interesting to find out that other people actually liked them!

Elliot H said...

I think these films were awesome, except for the lame excuse of stray dog. what a waste of two hours.